Subject: Re: Help on compiling a C program which uses TK library
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

12 Nov 1997 13:47:19 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: Arlindo da Silva <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Arlindo da Silva <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
> The X11 libraries do NOT come with cdk.exe; you need to download it
> from:
> 
>    ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/X11R6.3
> 
> You will need an X server as well to run X programs.  Please see the README
> file.
> 

Actually, you don't need Xlib for Tk. Tk emulates a subset of X
functionality under Windows to get things going. The poster missed
the X11 headers in the Tk distribution (and the xlib emulation is 
already in Tk DLL, either as provided by Sun or built locally by
MSVC or BC).

Of course, this means that the portable Tk extensions don't use
X11 stuff that is not in the emulation (eg., allocating read-write
color cells, which lots of programs assume are available, or 
XWindowGetAttributes, or XClearWindow, or ...). Look in the stubs.c
in the tk8.0/win directory to see which calls Tk doesn't have
emulation for or can be emulated by equivalent Tk calls.

Regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".