Subject: Re: heap_chunk_size [was:] Towards a more user-friendly cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

12 Nov 1997 07:08:29 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hi, you wrote:
>
>: Now, this isn't a problem to someone who knows what the registry editor
>: is, yet it transpires that cygwin is referenced in two places by this
>: Windows registry, and it is not at all clear exactly _where_ in relation
>: to, say, the cygwin.dll registry entry, the `heap_chunk_size' is to
>: appear.
>
>I wrote about this at least 3 times without answer!
>Some of my monster processes are >100MB, so I can't use Cygwin, but OpenNT
>works. Haven't tried UWIN yet...

CYGWIN is a work in progress.  It is free software.  Source code is available.

Given the nature of the project, unless you capture the fancy of someone
who knows about, or is interested in learning, the innards of fork, you
may have to wait a long time for fixes to become available.

So, there are multiple scenarios available:

1) Dive into the source code and see what you can do to help.

2) Keep posting your problem to the mailing list until someone gets interested
   and fixes it.

3) Post wry observations about the state of the code with vague hopes that 
   things will work "as they should" in the next release.

4) Post diatribes about the stupidity of the current implementation while
   making assertions about how "easy" it would be to fix, letting everyone
   know that you could fix it but can't because you "don't have time right
   now".

5) Respond to posts of similar problems with "I know!  I have the same
   problem and no one wanted to help me!"

6) Respond to posts that have nothing to do with your problem with "I know!
   And, they won't fix my problem either!"

7) Announce to the mailing list that you are going to have to use a competing
   product because their code "works".

8) Try posting to the mailing list with the word "NEWBIE" in upper case
   and plead pitifully for help on the grounds that you are just learning
   C/C++ and barely know how to type.  Flatter the people here by referring
   to them as "CYGWIN gurus".

9) Post your problem.  Post it again.  Post it one more time under a different
   subject with a little note at the top that says  "I'm not sure if this went
   out or not so I'm posting it again."

10) Post your problem but refer to the people on the mailing list as
   "fellow hackers".  Try to engender a quasi-conspiratorial "wink, wink,
   say no more" comraderie by throwing in words like "dude" and "the man".

Hope this helps.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".