Subject: Re: interesting problem with "find"
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

11 Nov 1997 21:08:20 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Larry Hall <[email-masked]> writes:

>Bartlee A. Anderson wrote:
>>I've noticed a similar problem with rm.
>>In directories with structure something/yada/yada/other/...
>>rm -rf will tell you that you have a circular directory structure and to
>>notify your administrator, it is almost certainly corrupt.
>>You have to remove from the second yada and then once it's gone, the
>>original command will work. Yuck.
>
>The problem with rm is because the algorithm cygwin32 has for generating
>inode numbers does not guarantee unique values.  In the UNIX world, these
>values must be unique.  If they aren't, it indicates the file system is 
>corrupt.  This is why this message occurs for rm.  An explanation of this
>should be in the FAQ by now.
>
>This is NOT the same issue as the find problem.

Are you sure?  I think `find' might be confused by the non-unique inode
numbers, just as `rm' is.

--
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".