Subject: RE: Heap chunk size registry entry WAS: Towards a more user-friendly cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Parker, Ron)

11 Nov 1997 19:48:12 -0800
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=Butler_Manufactu%l=BUILDINGS/BLDGSHUB/[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

After perusing the CDK source code I was able to find and verify the
appropriate key. It is located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus
Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0. The value must be named
heap_chunk_in_mb and must be a DWORD value. BTW 4MB is the minimum.

If you set the value below 4 and run a cygwin application it will be
reset to the minimum value of 4. This was how I tested that I had the
right key and value name.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Monday, November 10, 1997 9:28 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Towards a more user-friendly cygwin.dll
>
>One of the interesting design issues in the cygwin.dll system is the use
>of a default `heap_chunk_size' that appears to be inadequate for most
>situations.  After getting the Unix slrn news reader to compile with
>cygwin gcc, and after changing the slrn.c file so as to use a more
>cygwin-kind version of the `system(cmd_line)' command, there still appears
>at the bottom of the screen a message notifying the user that the heap has
>been `split'  and that this odious circumstance calls for a particularly
>heroic endeavor on the part of the user; namely, the altering of a certain
>`heap_chunk_size' variable in the Windows system registry.
>
>Now, this isn't a problem to someone who knows what the registry editor
>is, yet it transpires that cygwin is referenced in two places by this
>Windows registry, and it is not at all clear exactly _where_ in relation
>to, say, the cygwin.dll registry entry, the `heap_chunk_size' is to
>appear.
>
>Let us hope that future incarnations of cygwin will remember that 32-bit
>programming was supposed to free us all from the nuisance of finite and
>bounded heaps.
>
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".