Subject: Re: pentium bug
From: [email-masked] (Joshua Weage)

10 Nov 1997 20:41:59 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "gnu-win32" <[email-masked]>

>On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Joshua Weage wrote:
>> So what is the problem with a hard reboot?  Your system will not be
>> insecure, it will just crash.  The same thing can be done to a sun
>> workstation, not quite as quick, but it is possible to force a hard
reboot
>> with no other available options to get the system back up.
>
>it's not a crash. it does not go to hard reboot. It locks up tighter than
>a drum. The only way to get the machine going again is to walk over to
>the reset button and push it. A crash or reboot would be a much better
>failure, believe me.

    I guess I wasn't clear.  What I meant was that it required someone to
hard reboot the server, it did not reboot itself.  SDRC I-DEAS is notorious
for locking up machines.  UNIX os's without process limits are quite easy to
bring down also.

Josh

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".