Subject: Re: pentium bug
From: [email-masked] (Ron G. Minnich)

10 Nov 1997 09:50:21 -0800
Message-ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.971110111449.16297D-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@terra>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Joshua Weage <[email-masked]>
Cc: root <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Joshua Weage wrote:
> 	So what is the problem with a hard reboot?  Your system will not be
> insecure, it will just crash.  The same thing can be done to a sun
> workstation, not quite as quick, but it is possible to force a hard reboot
> with no other available options to get the system back up.

it's not a crash. it does not go to hard reboot. It locks up tighter than
a drum. The only way to get the machine going again is to walk over to
the reset button and push it. A crash or reboot would be a much better
failure, believe me. 

This is a bit of a problem for many scenarios, proof left to reader. 

ron
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".