Subject: Re: WARNING: Serious Pentium Bug
From: [email-masked] (Chin Chee Kai)

8 Nov 1997 23:03:16 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: GNU Win32 <[email-masked]>

Just a confirmation on the reported bug.

I compiled and executed using user privileges the code on my
Intel Pentium MMX 166MHz on Linux 2.0 and, as described by the 
anonymous mailer, the system froze immediately.  Nothing except
hard reboot works.

I ran the same on an Intel 486/66 on Win95 and got normal illegal
instruction trap using either cygnus gcc or VC++.

This does sound serious.

I'm also seriously in need of a confirmation as to whether the same
piece of code affects Pentium Pro machines.  Has anyone tried it
out yet?  Please post directly to me if you may as it may digress
from the Cyginw-gnu discussions although the Intel bug report is
serious.

Chee-Kai Chin

PS: To the anonymous poster, if you are reading, thank you very much.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".