Subject: Re: WARNING: Serious Pentium Bug
From: [email-masked] (Alex)

8 Nov 1997 19:21:51 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Joe Wronski <[email-masked]>
Cc: Keet / Foxbird <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Joe Wronski wrote:

> I'm no OS expert, but a couple observations:
> 
> You got debugging output, so the program didn't "crash" your machine,
> right?  The cygwin exception handler dealt with the exception, so the
> machine wasn't really in the weeds.  If it crashes or locks up the
> machine in Windoze without cygwin running, that would point to a bug in
> the Windoze exception handlers, wouldn't it?  
> 
> Or does the reported 'bug' have to do with the hardware aspects of the
> exception handler?

I'm fairly sure that the bug is indeed hardware related, however, it is
also probably aggravated by certian software conditions such as the CPU
being in Protected mode.  On a few of the other lists I'm on, I've seen
blame be pointed also at the OS's exception handling, and also seen people
try the program repeatedly and only have it completely freeze the computer
fairly randomly.
 
> PS:  What is coolview?  Best that I can guess is that it's not Codeview,
> which I used as a debugger back with microsoft Masm 5.0.

Coolview is/are Sergey's latest releases of cygwin.dll, complete with
some very nice patches.  It's also most certianly not CodeWarrior, a multi
platform development package.

- alex

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".