Subject: Re: pentium bug
From: [email-masked] (Joshua Weage)

8 Nov 1997 16:32:37 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "root" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

> This means that anybody can crash anytime any OS that runs under a
Pentium CPU.
> As the poster said, no special permissions are needed, the pentium runs
under
> ring 3 permissions!!!! user space
> 
> This means that no secure system can ever be built that uses the pentium
CPU. No
> protected system. The OS receives NO TRAP!!!

	So what is the problem with a hard reboot?  Your system will not be
insecure, it will just crash.  The same thing can be done to a sun
workstation, not quite as quick, but it is possible to force a hard reboot
with no other available options to get the system back up.

Josh

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".