Subject: Re: WARNING: Serious Pentium Bug
From: [email-masked] (Keet / Foxbird)

8 Nov 1997 06:56:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

>char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 };
>
>main ()
>{
>       void (*f)() = x;
>       f();
>}

Okay, here's the results from a P90 AT&T Globalyst 630, running Win95, with
IExplorer 4.0 installed (not that would matter, but it might), and the
original B18 installation (I would be running the new Coolview, but I've no
idea how to even begin making them work :P) Compiled using the line:

gcc -g -O -o crash crash.c

it yielded a warning about an incompatable pointer type, but did compile.
When running it, it revealed the following:

(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) In cygwin_except_handler
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) Exception trapped!
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) exception C0000005 at 403014
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) exception: ax 0 bx 253F520 cx 10047814 dx 0
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) exception: si 5 di 1000B8B3 bp 253F50C
sp 253
F508
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) Stack trace:
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 0: sp = 0x253F320, pc = 0x1000CEC2
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 1: sp = 0x253F33C, pc = 0xBFF7663C
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 2: sp = 0x253F360, pc = 0xBFF859D9
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 3: sp = 0x253F3F8, pc = 0xFFECBAD7
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 4: sp = 0x253F50C, pc = 0x1000C102
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 5: sp = 0x253FE0C, pc = 0x1000C113
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 6: sp = 0x253FE18, pc = 0x4011A9
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 7: sp = 0x253FE28, pc = 0x40103B
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 8: sp = 0x253FE38, pc = 0xBFF88F75
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 9: sp = 0x253FF78, pc = 0xBFF88E23
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 10: sp = 0x253FFF4, pc = 0xBFF8783F
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) frame 11: sp = 0x8167748C, pc = 0x4
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) In cygwin_except_handler
(C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TEST.EXE 1000) Error while dumping state (probably
corrupted
 stack)

The stack dump we all know too well. As for making it a C++ app, it
wouldn't even compile using this:

c++ -g -O -o crash crash.cpp

returned the following:

temp.c: In function `int main()':
temp.c:5: initialization to `void (*)()' from `char *'
C__~1.EXE: Internal compiler error: program cc1plus got fatal signal 33

Not sure what this means as a whole, but from what I can tell, it doesn't
work for me. BTW, I love the e-mail address this was posted from
[email-masked] and would you believe it? no way to trace back the IP
address. (recieved from localhost by [email-masked]). Strange huh?

- Greg Neujahr
  [email-masked]

\---------------------------------------------\
 \  Keet  |  [email-masked]            \
  \---------------------------------------------\
   \ http://localsonly.wilmington.net/~keetnet/  \--\
    \---------------------------------------------\  \
        \ Keet On FurryMUCK, FluffMuck, Moonglow, and \
      /--\ Forgotten Paths                             \
     /    \---------------------------------------------\
    / Furry Code 1.2:                             /
   / FA[parakeet]6fmsw A-- C- D+ H++ M+++ P+ R+  /
  / T++++ W Z Sm RL# a# cn++ d+ e# f++++ h#     /
 / i++>+++ p* sm#                              /
/---------------------------------------------/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".