Subject: Re: How to set up a DNS ?
From: [email-masked] (Dr David Coe)

5 Nov 1997 21:53:46 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Pasa Guglielmo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Qbik Wingate Lite is free for one user connected at any one time to the
Internet. It has proxies for a full suite of servers as well as the mini DNS
but is quite easy to set up. Be aware however that there is currently an
incompatability with IE4 so you have to choose one or the other.

BIND sources are from Berkeley so I guess are "freeware"; the NT port has
been adapted / packaged as a service by Software.Com and is also free and
(astoundingly) even has limited email support.  Although not difficult to
install, it does really need a bit of reading around to get zone authorities
etc right. Probably the safest is to set it up as a caching only server
taking information on demand from your ISP; I don't think the cached data
survives a re-boot, so DNS really is meant for machines that are left
running.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".