Subject: Re: Win 95 Console Stuff...
From: [email-masked] (Jason M. Felice)

5 Nov 1997 15:01:19 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

Okay, okay, okay, apparently I have instigated fury in the hearts of the
hard-core *NIX fans (of which I am one).

Yes Windows is broken, Yes it's Microsoft's fault.  Yes, Windows NT,
Windows 95 and Windows CE comprise the OS family which doesn't fork.
<grin>

But frankly the new brand of computer user doesn't know what an OS is.
Making money in this industry is easy for the same reason: the new breed
of computer user doesn't *care* what an OS is.  There are computer users
who don't know what an OS is who maintain web sites ( and I plan to write
the software that makes it even easier ).  Would I trust NT for my own
personal web site.  Never!  I am more than willing to learn esoteric
factoids to gain every extra little smidgen of control over my system.

So if one of the new breed of computer users comes to me and says 'make me
something where I can click here and there and do this and not know
anything'  I say 'okay, install Windows 95 or Windows NT.'

Fixing console stuff for Win 95 is just because I write programs for the
broken OS and would like gnu-win32 to behave tolerably in regards to
console IO, and *especially* vim 4.5.  vim (through no fault of it's own,
I use it on Linux) is the most intolerable because of this.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felcie

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Ben Constable wrote:

> >for vc++ which SHOULD be provided with the OS.
> 
> 
> Now that is highly amusing.
> 
> Maybe Microsoft should give all their software away. The whole lot. Set up a
> big FTP site to download their apps, and a web site where they can take
> orders for free CD-ROM mailouts.
> 
> After all, unix comes with a development environment which is just as good
> as Visual C++ (probably better). GCC and GDB are so much more powerful and
> intuitive to use.
> 
> Ben Constable
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
> 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".