Subject: Re: philosophy question
From: [email-masked] (Ron G. Minnich)

5 Nov 1997 07:04:43 -0800
Message-ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.971105085104.16748E-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@terra>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Steven Bellenot <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Steven Bellenot wrote:
> I see three directions gnuwin32 could/should go:
> 1. Providing Unix based tools that are usable in win32. How a person
> can live without a reasonable shell, diff, grep and friends ...
> 2. Provide a development environment for the translation of the
> vast freeware of unix to win32.
> 3. Make an environment as nearly unix-like as possible.

i don't see a conflict. My goal is simple: to take as much control as
possible of NT away from microsoft and into the free software community,
so that on those rare cases when I have to use NT, I don't use their
miserable tools, their expensive software, or depend on their unreliable
SDKs. "Embrace and extend". gnu-win32 is a step toward that end. In the 
limit, we boot an NT kernel and run only gnu tools on top. Now that would be 
fun. 

ron
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".