Subject: Re: ls -p very slow
From: [email-masked] (Alex)

5 Nov 1997 00:50:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Derek Young <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Chad Loder wrote:

> Hmmm...I always thought shortcuts were those bloody *.LNK files which are
> only valid from the GUI (they're just files, maybe with .INI syntax?). If so,
> then I can't see how that would help. It's odd that MS didn't do symbolic
> linking with NTFS. At least they have tab filename completion on NT's DOS box
> though...

Shortcuts are those bloody .lnk files, but not just available to the GUI
proggies, but to all Win32 programs, afaik they don't have INI style
syntax.  They do however have various API functions that would probably
provide a [small] speedup.  I'm thinking that the stat functions (or
whatever ls is using) would only check .lnk files for shortcuts, and if it
_is_ a shortcut, then the .lnk is truncated within gnu-win32, and if it's
not a shortcut then, it's treated as a regular file (with the .lnk
extension).

- alex

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".