Subject: Re: ls -p very slow
From: [email-masked] (Alex)

4 Nov 1997 22:36:26 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Derek Young <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Derek Young wrote:

> NTFS supports extended file attributes (user defined) doesn't it?  Could an
> extended attribute be used to hold the destination of the link instead of
> storing it within the file?  The file would always be empty.  This way all the
> link information is stored within the directory and following links would be
> much faster.  Of course FAT doesn't support extended attributes, so links
> would still have to live within the file in this case.

Along those lines, MSDN has some information on creating shortcuts.  If I
ever get winsup to compile instead of gpfing, and randomly blechin out
errors, I'd like to give this a try.

- alex

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".