Subject: ld -r
From: [email-masked] (Adam Taylor)

4 Nov 1997 16:02:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Folks,

A while back (April 1997) there was some discussion on this list of
problems with the -r option of ld, as implemented in the gnu-win32
tools.  The take-home message (I think) was "Avoid it.  It doesn't
work."  Has anything changed since then?  I'm trying to do a build using
it, and, well, I can't get things to work.  

Some sample error messages:
-----
gcc code_g.o ../ss/ss.o ../shell/shelllib-codeg.o utillib.o -lfl -lm -o
code_g
.../shell/shelllib-codeg.o(.data+0x400000):null_startup.c: multiple
definition of `_data_start__'
.../ss/ss.o(.data+0x400000):yyless.c: first defined here
.../shell/shelllib-codeg.o(.bss+0x400000):null_startup.c: multiple
definition of `_bss_start__'
.../ss/ss.o(.bss+0x400000):strsave.c: first defined here
.../shell/shelllib-codeg.o(.data+0x400728):null_startup.c: multiple
definition of `_data_end__'
.../ss/ss.o(.data+0x4001bc):yyless.c: first defined here
.../shell/shelllib-codeg.o(.bss+0x408f08):null_startup.c: multiple
definition of `_bss_end__'
.../ss/ss.o(.bss+0x400624):strsave.c: first defined here
utillib.o(.data+0x400000):system_deps.c: multiple definition of
`_data_start__'
.../ss/ss.o(.data+0x400000):yyless.c: first defined here
utillib.o(.bss+0x400000):proc.c: multiple definition of `_bss_start__'
.../ss/ss.o(.bss+0x400000):strsave.c: first defined here
utillib.o(.data+0x4001c8):system_deps.c: multiple definition of
`_data_end__'
.../ss/ss.o(.data+0x4001bc):yyless.c: first defined here
utillib.o(.bss+0x400064):proc.c: multiple definition of `_bss_end__'
.../ss/ss.o(.bss+0x400624):strsave.c: first defined here
/software/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe:
.../ss/ss.o: bad reloc address 0x2b in section `.text'
-----

Several of the object files given as input to ld in the above were
generated using ld -r, e.g.

ld -r -o utillib.o getopt.o hash.o jump.o popen.o proc.o rstats.o
signal.o system.o system_deps.o segv.o

I'm running b18 under NT 4.0 SP 3, with Sergey's 10/29/97 patch (not the
very latest, but the one before that).

Thanks for any help,
Adam
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".