Subject: Re: Does a Korn Shell come with NT?
From: [email-masked] (Scott Blachowicz)

4 Nov 1997 14:01:25 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: "Nilendu Pal" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

"Nilendu Pal" <[email-masked]> writes:

> You can also check out "U/Win" which is a (almost) complete UNIX 
> environment for Win NT/95. It includes a "ksh" which runs natively on 
> NT/95. The URL is 
> 	http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/
> And, it is also FREE.

No, it isn't...not if you happen to work on commercial software.

From the FAQ there:

   Q4.  What are the licensing terms?
        U/WIN source and binary are freely available within AT&T without
        restrictions.  Outside of AT&T, binary copies of U/WIN can be
        downloaded from the web site, http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin
        provided you agree to the licensing terms.  The license does not
        allow redistribution of U/WIN and the distribution does not come
        with source.  It does allow redistribution of the necessary dynamic
        linked libraries with any application created with U/WIN that is not
        provided by U/WIN itself to any licensed U/WIN user provided that you
        credit AT&T Laboratories.
    ...
   Q16. Is U/WIN supported commercially?
   A16. AT&T can grant commercial licenses for U/WIN but does
        not offer support.  Global Technologies, Ltd, URL
        http://www.gtlinc.com, has been licensed by AT&T to
        sell and distribute U/WIN for commercial use.
        Global Technologies, Ltd. holds the trademark for U/WIN.

and from it's license agreement:
   1. By this Agreement, AT&T grants you a royalty-free, non-exclusive,
      non-transferable, personal right to use UWIN solely for the
      Non-Commercial Purpose of evaluating UWIN. As part of the
      evaluation, you may prepare and use derivative works (the
      "Derivative Works") which incorporate the POSIX.DLL and AST52.DLL
      libraries (the "Libraries") of UWIN into software which you own or
      have the right to modify (the "Underlying Work"). You also may
      transfer a Derivative Work to another person only if you have all of
      the rights in the Underlying Work necessary to do so, and only to a
      person who has been granted the right to use UWIN by AT&T (a
      "Licensed User"), provided that such person treats the work as
      Derivative Work under the Agreement with AT&T. You may also make
      copies of UWIN to the extent necessary to exercise your rights
      hereunder. All copies of UWIN (or any utilities furnished in
      connection with UWIN) prepared in accordance with paragraph 1 shall
      retain the copyright notices appearing in UWIN. You shall treat any
      work you receive from a Licensed User as a Derivative Work.

   ...etc...

   3. As used in this Agreement, "Non-Commercial Purpose" means use of
      UWIN and Derivative Works solely for education or
      research. "Non-Commercial Purpose" excludes, without limitation, any
      use of UWIN or Derivative Works for, as part of, or in any way in
      connection with a product (including software) or service which is
      sold, offered for sale, licensed, leased, loaned or rented. EXCEPT
      AS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, YOU SHALL NOT USE,
      COPY, DISTRIBUTE OR TRANSFER UWIN OR DERIVATIVE WORKS IN ANY FORM,
      AND NO LICENSES ARE GRANTED OR IMPLIED.

and it's that "...or in any way in connection with a product..." that I
interpret to mean that I can't use it under that license (unless I were
evaluating it for a purchase).

And at http://www.gtlinc.com/Products/Uwin/uwin.html is the pricing:

            Win95   WinNT
    Base      $99    $199
    SDK      $229    $449 

If you know otherwise, let me know :-).

-- 
Scott Blachowicz                <[email-masked]>

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".