Subject: Re: ls -p very slow
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

4 Nov 1997 13:45:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
Chad Loder  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>That's pretty inefficient...sounds like a problem with how link
>information is stored in general. I know it's not easy to do this kind of
>thing with Microsoft's file systems, but maybe there is a way to speed
>this and related procedures up.
>
>A couple of ideas...one of which has already been implemented by someone
>(see about 5 messages back in this list), I think?
>
>1) Keep it simple, stupid - only scan files with the System attribute set,
>make sure that all links get this attribute set when created.
>
>2) Store a binary table of links somewhere on disk, scan thru that for
>links corresponding to what directory you're in. Or just make a hidden
>file in each subdirectory which contains link info for all the files in
>that subdirectory...that way you don't have to (*gasp*) open and close all
>the files every time you want to process which are links (e.g., ls -p or
>similar). Maybe this is too complicated...

Or,

3) Use Sergey's version of cygwin.dll which already does 1) above:

		http://www.lexa.ru/sos

This is a recording...
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".