Subject: Re: case insensitive globbing broken
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

30 Oct 1997 06:35:33 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
Jon Willeke  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Globbing is broken in b18.  I scanned the archives, release notes, and FAQ
>for case sensitivity issues, and I don't think this has been addressed.
>
>If I have two files, foo.tmp and bar.TMP; ls *.tmp only returns foo.tmp.  ls
>bar.tmp, on the other hand, returns bar.tmp.
>
>I first noticed this problem when I grepped a bunch of text files for a
>pattern that I knew was in more than one of them.  grep didn't preface the
>matches with the filenames, because all but one of the files had an
>uppercase extension.  The file with the lowercase extension was the only one
>grep checked.

If you scanned the archives you should have seen a discussion about this
issue.  As a UNIX utility it is debatable that you could consider it
"broken" behavior when bash does not match bar.TMP with a pattern of
*.tmp .  UNIX is case sensitive, after all.

Since bash uses the same globbing functions on UNIX and Windows NT and
since Windows NT does store filenames in mixed case, bash's behavior is
understandable.  I'm not saying that it is desireable or preferred but
it is understandable.

Someone had created a version of bash that was case insensitive.  You might
want to search the archives again to see if you can locate it.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".