Subject: The right termcap file makes a difference
From: [email-masked]

29 Oct 1997 18:12:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

I've noticed that the GNU Midnight Commander program (mc.exe) does an
excellent job of painting the text screen in color, with no spurious
characters or unpainted regions.  So, out of curiosity, I ran the tic
program on the terminfo entries that come with the mc distribution,
and substituted the resulting termcap file for the one presently in
c:\etc.

If you use the `xterm-color' entry, after doing `set TERM=xterm-color' in
autoexec.bat or in a DOS window prior to calling bash.exe, there is a
noticeable improvement in the way the screen in painted under such
applications as lynx.exe and slrn.exe.  The result is not perfect; there
are still unpainted areas.  But, there is a drastic reduction in spurious
characters from previous screens.

Œ
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".