Subject: RE: Possible Bug in Pipes with Win95
From: [email-masked] (Sergey Okhapkin)

28 Oct 1997 00:32:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "'David Devejian'"
	 <[email-masked]>

David Devejian wrote:
> I am having trouble implementing pipes with win95, namely, the process 
reading the pipe does not see the EOF when the writing process closes the 
file.
>
> With plain cygwin32 b18, the program would sometimes blow-up, sometimes 
hang, and occassionally run correctly.  With the installation of the 
coolview patches, the error is atleast consistent, the program hangs after 
all data has been read from the pipe, but never detects the EOF.
>

It's well known programmer's mistake :-) Close read end of pipe in the 
parent after fork(), and write end in the child.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia
Looking for a job.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".