Subject: gmake / sh won't execute binaries
From: [email-masked] (Thomas Nichols)

26 Oct 1997 14:55:24 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

I have a problem getting gmake to execute commands.

System: cygwin32 b18 on win95 (Dell pentium 233 32Mb etc)
Tested: compiles and links console and GUI mode programs ok with GCC, all
work ok.
Problem: "sh gcc" from the command prompt gives
gcc: /GW18/H-I386-CYGWIN32/BIN/gcc.exe: cannot execute binary file

If I run sh, I get a "bash$" prompt. Invoking "gcc" from there gives
gcc: No input"    ---  in other words, it runs it fine.
I have 2 copies of sh.exe, one in c:\bin and one in
C:\GW18\H-I386-CYGWIN32\BIN
Renaming the one in \bin doesn't help.
If I put a copy of my normal command processor (4DOS.COM) into \bin and
rename it as SH.COM, "sh gcc" works fine (4DOS executes gcc) but gmake
still fails as before, with an "Error 2" when it comes to build the first
target.

NB: I put cygwin32 into c:\gw18 instead of c:\cygwin32\b18 -- not a good
plan, should have learned by now not to fiddle.

Nice tools - I wish I'd found this distribution before, I gave up on GNU
tools before, but I think they're worth another look.

Thanks
Regards
Tom.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".