Subject: Re: Using GCC
From: [email-masked] (Charles Curley)

26 Oct 1997 13:48:26 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Alex <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

At 12:07 PM 10/26/97 -0800, Alex wrote:
>
>
>On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Charles Curley wrote:
>
>> >> Win32 is supposed to be a real operating system, so it won't let you
access
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Yea.  And elephants are supposed to be pink.

Ah, *that* explains the Republicans since 1994.... :-)

>
>> >Although dangerous, couldn't someone right a device driver that would
>> >allow you to use inp and outp?
>> 
>> Sure. Why don't you?
>
>I'd have no idea where to start, and don't want to accidentally screw
>something up.  Besides,  not much is working for me on Win98.

Well, if I were doing it, I'd start with MS VC++ Professional edition,
*unless* the tools are available here on Cygwin. I'd read up on VxDs and go
from there.

I for dang sure wouldn't use a beta OS for testing it, esp. with the
problems I've had with NT 5. Go to a recent W95 or NT 4 for this. Note that
device drivers are very different for WNT and W9[5|8].

> 
>> If the inputs to the device driver are port or port and count (for reads)
>> and port and datum or port, pointer to data and count (for writes) I think
>> you would have a nice generic testbed driver. I think I'd put some range
>> checks on it so I don't shoot myself in the foot with it.
>
>If there was some way to check to see if Windows is reserving that port,
>that'd probably be pretty helpful. Although I wonder if it'd work on NT.

I don't know if there is an OS call you could make, but the program
winmsd.exe (on NT 4) and its equivalents can find these things out, so it
has to be in the os omewhere.

> 
>> Next question, for the folks who know Cygwin better than I: does Cygwin GCC
>> include the tools necessary to make a device driver?
>
>Most probably yes.

We will see if anyone else answers this. If not, I'd go to MS VC++. I've
ameliorated it considerably by integrating NT Emacs into it.

		-- C^2

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://web.idirect.com/~ccurley
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".