Subject: Re: help using Vim with gnuwin32 tools?
From: [email-masked] (Micheal A. Benzinger)

25 Oct 1997 18:11:18 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: [email-masked] (Micheal A. Benzinger)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: John Cook <[email-masked]>, "'gnuwin32'" <[email-masked]>

Hi John,

I sent the changes needed to make VIM work with CYGNUS to
Bram Moolenaar who was kind enough to fold these back into
the source master files.  You will also notice that he has
added $(SUFFIX) to the install portion of the Makefile so
that execucatbles created with a .exe can be installed.

VIM seems to compile and work fine with Cygnus' GNUWIN32.
I have Sergey's DLL from the beginning of September.  I will
tell you that color syntax high lighting does not work with
version 5.0p.  If you want color high lighting, get version
5.0o.  I have sent Bram a message about this and have tried
to debug it with limited success.  There's a lot of code there
to digest and understand.  At least I hope I can narrow it
down for him.

By the way, the slash works fine here.  I think you meant to
issue 'vim ./.bashrc'.  For me this will open the file .bashrc
in the current directory.  Since the code is configured with
a UNIX system in mind, it understands the '/' directory
separator.

Mike Benzinger

At 04:50 PM 10/24/97 -0700, John Cook wrote:
>Hi.
>
>What do I need to do to get Vim working with the gnuwin32 
>toolchain (e.g., bash)?  I saw a lot of talk about this in 
>the mailing list archives of several months ago, but nothing 
>recently.  There are some defined(__CYGWIN32__) in the source 
>code (I have vim-5.0p) so it appears that at least some of the 
>gnuwin32-specific patches circulating back then have made it 
>into Vim, but make ran into problems.  I have the stock b18 
>version of the cdk.  Do I need Sergey Okhapin's newer version 
>of cygwin.dll or newer versions of anything else?
>
>The 'win32 console' version of Vim works mostly OK, but its 
>path handling converts / to \, so (for example) 'vi /.bashrc' 
>brings up an empty file unless I happen to be in a directory 
>on the root drive.  Also, I'd like to be able to use the 
>editor-dependent commands of sdiff with Vim (I set the 
>EDITOR variable to point to Vim, but the 'eb' command in sdiff 
>brings up an empty file).
>
>I know nearly nothing of termcap and ncurses (sorry!), so if 
>I need to acquire and build these, please point me to useable 
>sources.  (I do have TERM=linux.)
>
>Thanks,
>
>John
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>
>

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".