Subject: Re: problems with configure (shell problem)
From: [email-masked] (Wolfgang Stuerzlinger)

24 Oct 1997 13:31:02 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Wolfgang Stuerzlinger <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

> > I guess this is a known problem, but I was not able to run configure
> > sucessfully on the lesstif package using beta18 with the patches for the
> > X-libraries. At one or the other point in the script the system (Win95)
> > hung. As there are many subdirectories in the source tree doing the
> > configuration by hand would be way too timeconsuming.

Larry Hall suggested:
> I would recommend you try a new DLL from Sergey.

It sure improved things (no more crashes), but there are problems with
the shell (see below).

David Coe <[email-masked]> suggested
> You might want first to edit configure to remove -ansi-pedantic. The
> following works for me with lesstif-0.81:
>  ./configure --disable-debug --disable-verbose --enable-production
> --prefix=/usr/X11R6.3
>  make -i

My current configure command looks like this:
../configure --disable-debug --disable-verbose --enable-production
--prefix=/usr/X11R6.4 --x-includes=/usr/X11R6.3/include
--x-libraries-/usr/X11R6.3/lib

It stops with the following output:
../config.status: en.: command not found
../config.status: line 385: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
../config.status: line 395: syntax error: unexpected end of file

The string "en." seems to be the end of a comment line in the
config.status script (it's the only occurence of that string in the
file!). I was able to finish configure by editing config.status by hand
(see the P.S.) and running config.status a second time. This seems to be a
shell related problem, someone with internal knowledge of the shell needs
to look into this. "make -i" generated the libraries o.k. 

Thanks for the helpful messages!

Wolfgang Stuerzlinger

P.S.: For some who wants to look at the problem:  The version of lesstif I
used (lesstif-0.81) is available from www.lesstif.org. I removed
everything in "config.status" between the lines which say:

........
ac_given_srcdir=.
ac_given_INSTALL="/GNUWIN32/B18/H-I386-CYGWIN32/BIN/install -c"

>>>>>>>>>>>>start remove
trap 'rm -fr Makefile .......
........
rm -f conftest.subs
<<<<<<<<<<end remove
# These sed commands are passed to sed as "A NAME B NAME C VALUE D", where
# NAME is the cpp macro being defined and VALUE is the value it is being given.
#
# ac_d sets the value in "#define NAME VALUE" lines.
.........

--
Wolfgang Stuerzlinger
Dept. of Computer Science, UNC, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175
[email-masked]          http://www.cs.unc.edu/~stuerzl

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".