Subject: Re: anybody built gcc cross-compilers?
From: [email-masked] (csThomas)

23 Oct 1997 13:37:52 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

William R. Jones wrote:
> 
> I'm trying to build a cross-compiler so I can build code for an ARM on NT.
> I have bult it on a SPARC, but guess what, I don't have a SPARC at home.
> 
> But before I jump in with both feet and try to debug configure, i thought
> I'd ask if anybody else has tried to do something similar, and if so, were
> you able to get it to work?
> 
Bill -

After much effort I was finally able to get a i386-pc-cygwin32 to
sparc-sun-solaris2 x-compiler working. To build anything you have to have
native includes and libs, and the libs will name-collide with some of GCC's. I
also found that everything builds much cleaner if you use as your --prefix
directory the same root as where the Cygnus stuff is installed. That way, you
can then use the "-b" compiler option to selectively compile (pretty cool).
Otherwise, you may have to manually install "gcc-cross.exe" where you want it.

Other gotchas to look for: 

.. Sometimes LD doesn't always automatically build and install. If you get link
errors, check your LD output with a "-v"   option and make sure the proper
target is listed. If gcc is still looking for the i386 'crt1.o' file, you need
to rebuild   LD.

.. Forget about Tk/Tcl, and GDB. Comment them out of the root Makefile.

.. It helped me to do the initial build with the "make -i -k install" command
line (ignore errors and trudge on).

.. I believe there were a few code bugs which required simple hacks to fix.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

I used the following ./configure command line options: 

	--host=i386-pc-cygwin32 --target=sparc-sun-solaris2
--prefix=/GnuWin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32 -v 

I am able to compile code on NT and have it run on our Sparc, but I'm sure
there will be other issues ahead.

- cs thomas
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".