Subject: RE: CONTINUING Elementary Problems with Find
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

23 Oct 1997 03:13:43 -0700
Message-ID: <01BCDFCA.70BDB540.cygnus.gnu-win32@gbird0>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Weiqi Gao'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>

Weiqi Gao[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
>Watch out for the shell, because the shell has the first stab at the
>command line.  If you are using the Windows 95 COMMAND.COM shell, then
>*.c gets expanded to:
>  i) a list of your .c files in the current directory; --OR--
>  ii) if there are no .c files in the current directory, *.c

Sorry to pick nits, but this is not strictly true. Under Win95
the startup code of a program gets the command line unaltered
and performs "globbing" to create the argv list. Most (but not
all) Win95 programs do the globbing you describe (because
thats the kind that MS compilers' startup code does). I could
give you a program that runs under Win95 command.com and
does not perform globbing.

With all this said, your main point is correct. It's probably
the shell (or the startup code) expanding *.c that's messing
him up.

Sorry again,
Colin.

-- Colin Peters - Saga Univ. Dept. of Information Science
-- [email-masked] - finger for PGP public key
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".