Subject: Re: Utilities are slow--am I missing something?
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

22 Oct 1997 20:26:00 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
john jones  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I just set up Bash on my machine.  I have info working, and less, and
>the vi history config.  This is a great shell, but for some reason the
>utilities are WAY slow, or at least 'ls' is.  They all seem to be.  Am
>I doing something wrong?  I do an 'ls' on the bin directory (probably
>100 entries) and wait maybe 1 or 2 seconds, which is a long time in dos
>box years.  I'm using Win95 on a P6 166 with 32meg of ram, with about
>2.5 Gig free space.

As Sergey has mentioned in another thread, process creation under Win32
is very slow.  Add to that the overhead added by cygwin.dll to emulate
UNIX stuff and you get slow process startup time.

Sergey has a patch in the making which should speed up this process
noticeably.  It delays or eliminates some expensive startup operations.
It should be in the next beta released by Cygnus.  I'm not sure if he
will be releasing it as a "coolview" or not.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".