Subject: Making the most recent versions of lynx work from cygwin32
From: [email-masked] (Victor Schneider)

22 Oct 1997 16:53:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

I found the answer:  `gethostbyname' is not reliable when called only once.
The slrn newsreader uses for loops to call gethostbyname up to three times
before reporting failure.  If you replace every instance of gethostbyname
with a for loop calling gethostbyname in the lynx code, the resulting
..exe file will work (with an occasional failed lookup).

I even got the DJGPP version of pico.exe to make an appearance when I attempted
to mail this from cygwin/lynx2-7-1, but I don't think the sendmail program
succeeded (probably not enough calls on gethostbyname).

For best results, you need libslang.a and libtermcap.a in /usr/local/lib or
wherever, and you need to rename libcurses.a and libncurses.a so that configure
doesn't try to use them.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".