Subject: Make & Bash bugs/questions
From: [email-masked] (Brendan Simon)

21 Oct 1997 17:51:02 -0700
Message-ID: <c=AU%a=_%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>

A couple of questions about the GNU-Win Make & Bash.

I've just managed to compile the V GUI but encounterd a few problems
with Make.
Make complained about not being able to find the dependency target
v_defs.h.
This file definately exists in a directory where VPATH points to yet
Make could
not find it.  I had to resort to using DJGPP Make which worked fine;
well up
to the point where to object files were collected into a library using
ar.

Why would DJGPP Make (v3.73) work but not GNU-Win32 Make (ver 3.75) ??
Is it something to do with long paths, long filenames or case sensitity
??

When DJGPP Make tried to make the V libaryr, it had an error message
that
indicated it had run out of command line space (ie. did not recognise
characters
after about the 120th on the command line).  Yet if I typed in the
entire ar
command manually, it worked OK.  I even tried using Bash but had the
same
result.

Is this command line limitation something to do with DJGPP ??
Should/would GNU-Win32 Make fix this problem (assuming that it worked
for 
previous problem)

I would really love to use Bash but it is SOOOOOOO slow.  I run linux on
a
486 DX2/66 with lots of windows open.  Bash and other shells run faster
on this
machine than they do on my Pentium 133 running Win95.
Is there something I can do to speed up Bash or is it just that
Windows95 is
a load of crap.

Thanks heaps for any info,
Brendan Simon.
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".