Subject: Getting lynx.exe to compile _and_ _work_ from cygwin
From: [email-masked] (Victor Schneider)

21 Oct 1997 17:06:29 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

One plausible reason why lynx.exe won't work after being configured and
compiled under b18 cygwin32 is that the winsocket.dll initialization
function isn't called from lynx.  If you define `_WINDOWS' in
lynx/src/LYMain.c and define the structures used by the LYMain.c Windows
initialization call at the top of the file, you discover that it won't link
the extra functions, even though libwsock32.a has the named functions.

The reason that you don't want to include <winsock.h> in LYMain.c is that
the file is so badly written that it redefines and redeclares basic types
over and over again during the inclusion of miscellaneous files from
<cygwin32/...>, <windows32/...>, and <sys/...>.

Of course, then the question is how other winsocket users, like the slrn
news reader, manage to operate without initializing the winsocket.dll.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".