Subject: quest for thread-safeness!?
From: [email-masked] (Peter Boncz)

20 Oct 1997 02:40:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Hi all,

I just got a multi-threaded database server compiling, and
apparently running - and now, a bit late admittedly.., I discover 
on the mailing-list that the gnu-win libraries are not thread-safe! 
I didn't crash until now, but that is presumeably a matter of time
and luck.  Help!

So, I am in deep sh*t. Even ready to invest serious work on the 
library to help fix up things. What I would like to know of some
knowledgeable gnu-win person is:
- what are the plans of Cygnus Support Inc. in the area of 
	thread-safeness?
- which sections of the system are not thread-safe?
	(the newlib/ or also the winsup/ stuff?)
- or are there any other problem areas?

If it's just newlib that is the problem: 
- how difficult would it be make this one thread-safe, or replace it 
	by the gnu-libc?
- is it even possible to 'overload' the gnu libc on top
	of the cygnus system in order to get a thread-safe system?

many thanks in advance..

Peter Boncz
Magnum Database Research Project
University of Amsterdam
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".