Subject: ln and cp oddities
From: [email-masked] (Kevin Hughes)

20 Oct 1997 01:32:15 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I have been "using" the win32 port for some time but not in anger - just
playing. I have now decided to do some real work and run into some
problems associated with file permissions.

I first tried to do 

	ln -s fileA fileB 

where fileA exists and has only read permission. I got fileB as expected
BUT I also got a write pwermission for BOTH files. This is not the case
in real UNIX.

I tried to work around this by using copy - hence
	
	cp -p fileA fileB

This causes an error - undefined option - although it appears to have
worked - the file has been copied and the dates etc. have been
preserved.

I also have some scripts which use options in their parameters and test
for them

	if test "$2" = "-l"

this does not work and I get "invalid unary operator" or similar error.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Kevin
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".