Subject: Re: Cygnus used in a Product ?
From: [email-masked] (Larry Meadows)

19 Oct 1997 14:36:39 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked] (David Relson)
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

> Correct me if I am wrong ...
> 
> My recollection of the GPL is that the source code must be available.
> Neither the application nor the code has to be free - you can charge as you
> wish.  The key word is "available", not "free'.

That's a very good point. However, below you'll find my interpretation of
the license.  A couple of quotes:

Sec 2:

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

and,

Sec 3:
    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

So, it does appear that you can charge whatever you want for the binary,
but it appears that the source code must be either included in
that cost or distributed for a nominal charge. In the PC world
this is really tough, since it is hard to charge more that $1000 or so
for a program, and typically vendors would prefer to charge a lot 
more than that for source code.

lfm

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".