Subject: RE: Printing from Unix to an NT machine printer?
From: [email-masked] (Michael Haub)

17 Oct 1997 19:01:04 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

don't we all like Micro$oft. Here is what they say about their own kind
of lpd:

(I only got a german TCP/IP handbook for NT 3.51 Server. So I try to
translate.)

"... The LPDSVC service supports every printing format, including
unformated text.
 No additional processing will be taken. ..."

This is clever and true. As NT has no filters it can only print raw text.
So if you rely on the poor nt lpd implementation and you tell the lpd of your
unix box to forward printing to the nt box (take a look at man printcap)
you will get nice source code listings of your postscript files, ;-)
as nt will not filter through ghostscript.
A linux box would do that for a local printer.

Yourth sincere
Michael

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".