Subject: Re: Pthreads for gnu-win32?
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

17 Oct 1997 18:54:48 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

You write:

>	Anyone know of a port of pthreads for gnu-win32 or if gnu-win32
>supports posix threads?

As far as I know, gnu-win32 does not support threads; I'm pretty sure that
the C library it uses, `newlib', is not thread-safe.

It is a pity that Cygnus didn't use the GNU C library, which supports
threads, and (from what I have heard) is generally better than newlib.
I believe the main motivation for using newlib was copyright issues.

--
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".