Subject: Re: Help on programming
From: [email-masked] (Jesse L. Marlin)

16 Oct 1997 04:18:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Darren Rauckman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Darren Rauckman wrote:

This seems to be a trend in Windows programming, in order to learn how to
do it, you have to buy a book.  I haven't heard of an online tutorial, or
FAQ, but there is a newsgroup called comp.os.windows.programming.win32, I
think (its pretty close), but all they talk about are the MFC (microsoft
foudation classes), which are fancy smancy classes that microsoft has
rolled for use with their compiler.  Compilers like microsoft include some
tools to do interface design with, called resource kits or something to
that effect, that allow you to design a gui with little effort.  I think
you can do as much or more with straight win32 calls, but it is confusing 
and difficult.  

I would suggest you search for wxWindows.  

Which is a free OS independent set of classes to aid in gui development.
This implementation offers almost as much as MFC does.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/julian.smart/wxwin/

Though I have not used it, because I don't really like C++ all that much,
it will be easier to start with, and better than trying to learn the ins
and outs of win32. I think there are some #defines for the cygwin32
compiler, and be warned it is still in beta, but I have seen the code and
it looks pretty good.  Almost as ambitious as cygwin32.   

Does microsoft block anybody from posting information about the win32
interface, I was just wondering why information was so scarce about it on 
the net.

> This may not be the right place to ask this, but you know alot or quite
> a bit about windows programming.  I would like to program in windows, I
> have knowledge of programming dos applications.  I tried looking  for a
> good online tuturial for programming in windows.  Not programming in
> VC++ or using MFC or OWL but plain old programming in windows.  If any
> of you know of a very good, good, or any programmin place that carrys a
> tuturial please let me know and send the site address.
> 
> Thanks
> Darren
> 
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
> 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".