Subject: Re: mingw32 - noncygwin32 gcc - libwinserve.a
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

15 Oct 1997 16:43:01 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:44:51 +0100
>From: "Pedro A. Aranda Guti\irrez" <[email-masked]>
>To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
>Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: mingw32 - noncygwin32 gcc - libwinserve.a
>
---snip---
>
>Which bash are you using. The CYGWIN-bash, an MSDOS bash or a MINGW32
>versionof bash. If it is the latter, I'd like to know how you got it
>compiled. It's been my main headache
>for the last couple of months. I do refuse to install the cygwin.dll
>monster in my PC.
>

As for BASH I'm currently using bash-2.01 that I compiled with the 
out-of-the-box version of cygwin.dll.  As for compilation I chose the 
package rman-3.0.3a12 as it was small (1 module) in size.  To get it to 
compile I had to remove the -D options from gcc and insert them into a 
header file that I then included in the source.  I then issued the 
necessary build command from MSDOShell.

I've also noted that the mingw32 version of gcc (I say that it is gcc 
because it doesn't matter which shell is used) removes all quotes from 
the command line.  E.G.: The makefile from bash-2.01 has a command line 
definition of -DPROGRAM='"bash"'; when the compiler sees this it is 
trying to resolve the reference to bash as a variable not as a literal.

As for the cygwin.dll, Cygnus Support and all involved have made a great 
contribution to the process of making programs portable.  However, if 
there license prevents anyone from using it for whatever purpose 
desired, even compilers, I question whether I can totally support it.  
However, I have been given the use of it and will use it and have 
enjoyed using it and will help others use it.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".