Subject: Re: GUI Help
From: [email-masked] (Paul Prescod)

14 Oct 1997 11:04:36 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Mike Ryan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Mike Ryan wrote:
> 
> I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using the
> gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like Explorer,
> or Netscape, or something along those lines.

Mike, I would say that if you want to program GUI networked apps like
Explorer and Netscape you are going to have to learn a great deal. I
would urge that the nicest "package" for learning about networked, GUI
programming is Java. If you pick up any decent Java book, you will know
how to do networked GUI programming by the end of it. Furthermore, most
of the components you need are already either built in or easily
downloadable (e.g. HTML viewers, HTTP libraries etc.). You will get "up
to speed" faster because Java is easier to program in than C++ and Java
GUIs are easier to program than the Windows API.

If you are not happy with your Java program when you are done, then you
can rewrite it in C++. At least you will already be familiar with
networking, GUI stuff, OOP and component programming. Then all you will
have to learn is C++ and the Windows API. You will know by then that you
are serious and will not be as easily discouraged as you would be if you
tackled C++ and the WINAPI directly and at the same time as everything
else.

 Paul Prescod
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".