Subject: Re: Output redirection, file creation, and libjpeg.a
From: [email-masked] (Alex)

13 Oct 1997 20:42:11 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

I've seen a few threads so far on this list about the default mode for
opening pipes, and the arguments for and against each way.  Along those
lines, I've noticed that FreeBSD has a nice little interface to some of
the system configuration stuff sysctl({3|8}), sysctl(8) being a wrapper
of sorts. This got me to thinking, something like this could be really
useful for enabling or disabling certian debugging stuff.  I know that the
mount table is stored in the registry already, what about something like
this?  For instance, one could say type sysctl -c debug.sigchld=1, and it
would effect everything globally, and it would provide a more uniform way 
to check various options. Thoughts?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Larry Hall wrote:

> Actually, regardless of how the file systems are mounted, if you are using
> the bash that came with the original b18, stdin, stdout, stderr, and pipes
> will be opened in text mode.  The later version of bash (2.0.1) compiled by
> Sergey does NOT set all these to text mode and therefore you won't get 
> carriage returns appended.  I am uncertain whether mounting file systems as
> binary using the original version of bash would remove the carriage returns
> from stdin, stdout, and stderr (probably not) but the problem would persist
> for pipes.  See Sergey's patches for the new bash (and patched cygwin DLL) - 
> http://www.lexa.ru/sos.

- alex

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".