Subject: Re: [IIS] E/S standards via la console
From: [email-masked] (Charles Curley)

13 Oct 1997 05:30:34 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Fernandes, Hilton" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

At 21:02 12/10/97 +0000, Fernandes, Hilton wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Thanks for your very informative letter.  Since i read it I'm 
>considering to play with Omnihttpd.  As far as i understand it is a 
>web server for Win95, right?

As far as I know, W95 only. I haven't tried it on NT. If I need a web
server for NT, I'll grab Apache.

>
>However, i'd like to tell you of a gotcha that i personally hit real
>hard.  I'm sure you know about this, but just in case you've 
>overlooked this particularity of Windows NT.
>
>Under Windows NT it is not true a program has the console trio
>(stdin, stdout and stderr) automatically open.  That's only true for
>console programs. GUI applications must issue explicitly a
>AllocConsole() to have the consolo trio open.

Actually, I did not know about that. Thanks. Is that a compiler/library
issue, or is that a OS issue? It makes sense, in that most GUI programs
don't use console I/O, so why bother with it unless you need it.

The question came up in the context of CGI programming. I would write a
console program for CGI so I could test it, so I expect the issue has not
come up.

		-- C^2

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://web.idirect.com/~ccurley
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".