Subject: Re: forking vim gui
From: [email-masked] (Alex)

11 Oct 1997 13:19:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Colman Curtin wrote:

> folks
> Having successfully compiled my fav editor vim a while back.
> How come when I launch it as 'gvim' or 'vim -g' which causes vim to fork the
> gui version I get an exception.
> However if I launch it as 'vim -g -f' which launches the gui but doesn't
> return to the shell it work fine.
> But if I launch it as above but use bash to background it 'vim -g -f &' it all
> works fine and I get bash back?

Under Win95, a program can't fork() or vfork() into the background,
without raising an exception.  NT will allow this as long as the shell
remains open (I think).  Using an '&' will not cause the launching program
to fork, thus allowing it to work.
 
- alex

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".