Subject: Re: corruption in socket layer?]
From: [email-masked] (Jim Thompson)

10 Oct 1997 22:48:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]

Colin (and Microsoft) should read RFC793:

  CLOSE is an operation meaning "I have no more data to send."  The
  notion of closing a full-duplex connection is subject to ambiguous
  interpretation, of course, since it may not be obvious how to treat
  the receiving side of the connection.  We have chosen to treat CLOSE
  in a simplex fashion.  The user who CLOSEs may continue to RECEIVE
  until he is told that the other side has CLOSED also.  Thus, a program
  could initiate several SENDs followed by a CLOSE, and then continue to
  RECEIVE until signaled that a RECEIVE failed because the other side
  has CLOSED.  We assume that the TCP will signal a user, even if no
  RECEIVEs are outstanding, that the other side has closed, so the user
  can terminate his side gracefully.  A TCP will reliably deliver all
  buffers SENT before the connection was CLOSED so a user who expects no
  data in return need only wait to hear the connection was CLOSED
  successfully to know that all his data was received at the destination
  TCP.  Users must keep reading connections they close for sending until
  the TCP says no more data.

The second to last sentence makes the behavior of a conformant TCP clear.

Jim
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".