Subject: Licensing Issue
From: [email-masked] (Anthony Tuininga)

9 Oct 1997 19:35:36 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

According to the FAQ, the Cgywin API is covered by the GPL, which means
that any work which includes the Cygwin API must be under the GPL
itself. However, this doesn't seem quite right to me -- the Cygwin API
is a LIBRARY and as such, the cygwin.dll and its source ought to be
under the LGPL, which allows inclusion of cygwin.dll in applications
without the requirement of providing source for said application.

So.....my questions for this list are: Is the FAQ correct when it says
that the Cygwin API is under the GPL? If so, does this mean that any
application/utility which I write must have source provided to
customers? Is there any possibility of the license being changed to
LGPL?  Can anyone give me a definitive answer to these questions?

Anthony Tuininga
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".