Subject: GNUWIN32 b18 on NT4.0 via SLTelnet session problems?
From: [email-masked] (DSS)

8 Oct 1997 10:23:24 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Greetings, there follows a long-winded question which you can feel free
to ignore...

I'm trying to use GNUWIN32 build-18, installed on an NT4.0 server via
Seattle lab's Telnet Server (the latest, registered version 2.2).
However, there seems to be a problem(feature?) with running any of these
fine utilites under the telnet session, it goes like this:

1) All GNUWIN32 tools run fine on the NT server locally, paths and env
variables set under the server environment. 

2) All GNUWIN32 tools run fine under SLNet telnet to the NT server when
you've telnetted there using the Administrator login (the login we
installed SLNet telnet under).

3) All GNUWIN32 tools 'hang' under SLNet telnet tp the NT server when
you've telnetted there using an account OTHER than the administrator
login (even accounts that belong to the NT administrator's group). By
hang I mean nothing what-so-ever happens after you type the command line
to invoke the required GNUWIN32 tool and smack ENTER...and yes, believe
me I've checked the appropriate env vars and path exists under the
telnet session (about a zillion times). Attempting to run any GNUWIN32
tool hangs the telnet session until you hit cntrl-c, something of a
bummer.

4) Even stranger: All GNUWIN32 tools run fine under SLNet telnet to the
NT server when you've telnetted there using the SAME login and the user
presently logged in LOCALLY to the NT server. Eg. So if BOB (who's not
an administrator, just a plebian user) has logged into the NT server
locally he can then run the GNUWIN32 tools fine under a telnet session
to the server provided he telnets there using the same login....this
kinda defeats the purpose of using telnet!

Anyway, this oddness would tend to suggest to me there's something funny
going on with the CYGWIN.DLL? as we haven't had any other problems with
the SLNet telnet service...Has anyone else had any problems using the
GNUWIN32 tools under a telnet session? Or have I completely lost the
plot? By all means send info, comments, suggestions, hate-mail to:

Stuart Nicholson
[email-masked]

Thanks!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".