Subject: RE: corruption in socket layer?
From: [email-masked] (Khosla, Deepak)

8 Oct 1997 02:35:57 -0700
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=COMPAQ%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Sergey Okhapkin'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "'Tim Newsham'" <[email-masked]>

We ran into a similar (yet different) problem - with WINSOCK you 
cannot guarantee that on a close all the data is flushed. You better 
do some application level handshaking. We saw that even if we did a 
close with a timeout period, the lower level never told you whether 
the timeout expired or whether the data was actually sent. It appears 
that the state goes to FIN_WAIT even though a FIN has not been sent 
out and then a close is successful!. The condition we saw this in was 
if the remote had set the window size to zero while at the same time 
we had only enough data left that would fit in the internal TCP 
buffers. We would do a close, it would return successful and we would 
go on trying to establish a new connection to the same remote and it 
would send a reset back since from its point of view, the previous 
session was alive.

The bug was reported to MS a few months back - no response other than 
that's how Winsock works :-)

Regards

Deepak Khosla
281-514-9234
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From:	Sergey Okhapkin [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, October 07, 1997 3:06 AM
To:	[email-masked]; 'Tim Newsham'
Subject:	RE: corruption in socket layer?

Tim Newsham wrote:
> What I'm seeing is the tcp/ip stack behave improperly at
> times.  For example sometimes a close() happens and not
> FIN is sent out.  Instead the connection is silently placed
> into the closed state.  On the next incoming packet from
> the remote, the local TCP stack sends out an RST.
>
> I see this behaviour in all the cygwin.dll's I have tried
> it on, and am guessing that this problem has existed in
> all versions of the dll (possibly a winsock bug).
>

Would you like to write a win32 native test suite for a problem not 
using cygwin.dll?

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia
Looking for a job.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".