Subject: Re: Help again please.
From: [email-masked] (Alex)

4 Oct 1997 17:28:59 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Darren Rauckman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Darren Rauckman wrote:

> Someone has misstyped the FAQ, it should be FD, Frequent Diagnostics
> becasue in it it says in a section 'I use a function I know is in th
> API, but I still get a link error' and the answer is 'The function
> probably isn't declared in the header files, or the UNICODE stuff for it
> isn't filled in. What is that supposed to mean, I dont care what the

If you know anything about C, and a function isn't defined in a
header file, and it _is_ there, then add the function to the header 
file and don't complain to the list.  Windows deals with two basic types
of strings. ASCII and UNICODE. Unicode supports (afaik) more international
stuff and takes up more space in memory and is a Microsoft invention.  If
the unicode stuff isn't filled in, that means you need to give it a
unicode string.  However neither of these are your problem.

> problem is, I want to fix it, you think that someone cant figure out
> there is something wrong with a file.  Isnt there a FAQ with answers and
> solutions not babble that leads to their homepage that leads to some
> other NT programs.  I finally got the program to run and compile a
> cheezy program and now there is some kind of error that is half a page
> long but ends in 
> 
> undefined reference to Winmain@16
> 
> gcc.exe: Internal compiler error: Program ld got fatal signal 1

This means you are trying to link a GUI program which expects a Winmain()
function to startup, not a main().  Winmain by the way, is not in the API.
The @16 I think is a reference to a 16 bit function.
 
> So if someone has an answer besides, "Um, let me think, there is
> something wrong in a file", then please send it too me. 
> 
> I am sorry for being a little over the edge in this letter but why would
> someone write that, that is sooo stupid, its like a FAQ that says 'Why
> wont my car run' and the reply 'there is a part in your car that is not
> functioning'  It is frustrating enough without these dumb things.

Not really, if a part is missing, and you know what part it is, it's easy
enough to fix.  However sometimes even if one knows what's missing, it's
hard to fix.  It's also probably hard enough for the people writing the
code to do so without the complaints about dumb FAQs and people _not_
offering to help write this stuff.

- alex

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".