Subject: Tar fails during creation of large files.
From: [email-masked] (Smith, Eric)

1 Oct 1997 09:40:39 -0700
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=Eastman%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'GnuChat (E-mail)'" <[email-masked]>

Hello all:

I am currently running CDK b18 with the Coolview dll (date 9/7/97) on NT
4.00 (build 1381).  The system has 64M RAM and a 4G SCSI drive.

Both the source dir and dest dir are binary mounts.

I am trying to tar a subdirectory and all of it's subdirectories into a
single archive.  The directory tree contains 24.5M of files.

If I execute the following

	bash$ cd /tarsrc
	bash$ tar -cf /tardest/dest.tar Components

		I end up with a TAR file containing 4,410K of data, but only some of
the required files.

If I execute the following

	bash$ cd /tarsrc
	bash$ tar -cvf /tardest/dest.tar Components

		I end up with a TAR file containing 25,740K of data, with all of the
files.

Why is there a difference?

Eric M. Smith
telephone               : (423) 229-2254
profs/officevision     : XGIB003
internet -- business : [email-masked]
internet -- personal  : [email-masked]

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are quick to anger.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
good with ketchup.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".