Subject: Re: vim and b18
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

30 Sep 1997 05:36:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:49:20 -0400
>To: [email-masked]
>From: Larry Hall <[email-masked]>
>Subject: vim and b18
>Cc: [email-masked]
>
>Hello fellow gnu-win32 users,
>
>I have asked about this problem before on this list and received no 
feedback
>so perhaps I'm the only one experiencing it.  Nevertheless, since I 
have
>created a patch for the problem, I thought others might be interested 
(or
>even better, explain to me a better way to solve this problem).  The 
problem
>I had was using a locally compiled version of vim (5.0k and 5.0m) in 
the
>b18 environment.  While vim ran with Chris Faylor's patch, I found that 
>scrolling down (CTRL-D), searching down (/<something> and "n"), and 
even 
>moving down a line when I was at the bottom of the screen would scroll 
the 
>command line of vim as well.  Many times the text of the command line 
would
>be overwritten by the source from the file that displayed on that line 
so 
>the problem would look like it was sporadic.  It was most noticeable 
when the
>ruler was used.  However, with a little investigation, I noticed that 
it
>ALWAYS occurred but was only noticeable when text from the source file 
did
>not overwrite the text from the command line.  I have created a patch 
which
>fixes this problem for me.  My guess is it is not optimal, since it 
forces
>the command line to be cleared in all these cases.  However, it was 
unclear
>exactly what was causing this problem so this is the best solution I 
could
>find.  It works fine for me and does not appear to affect performance 
to any
>noticeable extent.  Suggestions from others on a better way to fix this 
are 
>welcome.  
>
>If you notice problems similar to what I describe, you may want to try 
this
>patch.  I'm, using it on vim-5.0k but it should work through 5.0m at 
least.
>My configuration is NT 4.0 + SP3 running b18 with an updated DLL from 
>Sergey (circa 7/23).  I'm also using ncurses 1.9.9g and the slightly 
modified 
>linux termcap entry (as included).  If anyone else finds this useful or 
has
>any comments, I'd like to know.  
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
>RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
>8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
>Wellesley, MA  02181 
>
>PS - For those who are curious, the unmodified source compiles, links, 
and 
>runs fine WITHOUT THIS PATCH on linux (2.0.27 kernel).
>

Larry,

I believe that your problem with vim within bash has to do with the 
lower right corner problem.  If you run the lrtest program from the 
ncurses build you will notice that the top of the box scrolls so that it 
is not visible.  This is something that the ncurses team says they can't 
handle well per the documentation in the ncurses package.  Your problem 
exists for W95 and WNT 3.51 as well.

Anyway, I am using vim as it was built from the authors for WIN32 and 
have no problem with the scrolling.  I also have the window set so that 
I have no scroll bars.  Can you say if the problem exists with or 
without scroll bars?

Thanks,

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".