Subject: Re: Linking gnu-win32 (X11R6.3) libraries in MS-Developer (*.a -?-> *.lib)
From: [email-masked] (Tor M. Aamodt)

29 Sep 1997 10:13:07 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Arlindo da Silva'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

I'm a bit confused by your responses ( Arlindo and Sergey ) to my question.
I am trying to debug with the MS Developer Studio (under NT 4.0), and you both
mention using ld, which is part of gnu-win32.  How will a new ld fix things if
MSDEV doesn't use the old one (it used a program called link.exe)?  Is it not
possible to link to the *.dll's made with gnu-win32 using anything but ld?
Perhaps I am misunderstanding you.   Do you mean that remaking the libraries
with a new ld would fix the problem?  If so, how does one get the source code
/ new ld?

Some else ([email-masked]) offered me the reasonable advice that the
Developer Studio probably misinterpretes *.a files and so I (after having
learned how to do this from him) converted libX11.a to .lib format to no avail
(exact same errors).  If the code makes and works correctly with g++ under NT,
is it still really likely to be an error in the library, or more likely a
compatibility issue with link.exe?

Thanks,

Tor

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".